Wet Basements are a Health Hazard
Does your basement flood when it rains?
Are there small pools of water on your basement floor?
Are there any other signs of moisture in your basement?
If so, you are not alone.
An estimated 93% of homes in the U.S. will have some type of water damage over time. A wet basement is not just annoying, it may also indicate a more serious foundation problem.
Foundation Fact: Water Damage accounts for just under 1/3 of all insurance loss claims nationwide!
In addition to unpleasant odors and unlivable space in your home, a wet basement may also be negatively impacting you and your families health. Other environmental factors, such as pest waste, may trigger serious allergic reactions in some people.
- Mold. Mold loves dark, damp spaces, regardless of the size. It is the perfect environment for black and green mold to rapidly spread. These molds have been linked to a number of respiratory illnesses and the symptoms tend to only get worse unless a mold remediation is completed. The children and the elderly are especially susceptible to mold related illnesses.
- Bacteria. Mold isn't the only think lurking in your wet basement that can make you sick. Microorganisms and bacteria are also present in wet basements and damp wood facilitates rapid growth. This bacteria may cause serious problems in people with allergies (may cause throat, eye & nose irritation).
- Pests. Mice, rats and roaches LOVE dark, wet basements. The puddles of water and endless hiding spaces are ideal for these unwanted house guests to breed and continue wreaking havoc on your home.
Health issues and additional living (or storage) space in your home aren't the only reasons you should consider addressing the wet basement in your home. If you are planning to sell your home, those with wet basements are a serious red flag. Protecting your investment now not just addresses the immediate health impacts, it will also put the test of time behind the repairs.
Check out the before and after photos a Basement Waterproofing project: